Recitation is a highly valuable experience in language learning and this competition is an excellent way to enrich the study of Italian language and culture.
Students are expected to memorise their chosen poem and no props or actions are to be used. Judges will assess:
- Knowledge of the poem (including title and author)
- Appropriate expression
- Gesture / eye contact
Judges will visit schools with a minimum of 25 participants. Schools from regional Victoria are required to cover travel expenses.
Monday 7th June – Friday 25th June.
(Please note: Monday 14th June is a public holiday).
Monday 30th August – Friday 17th September.
Prizes are awarded for first, second, third and fourth in each section, and Special Mention Certificates are presented to students outstanding in their presentation.
Participation Certificates will be provided to all participating students.
The following scoring system will continue to be used for each poem to differentiate level of difficulty and encourage students to challenge themselves:
3p=3 points (most difficult)
The participation fee for each student is $8.00. You can pay via bank transfer by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org to request an invoice. No money will be handled on the day of the competition.
Click the link below to download an enrolment form.
Once completed, email to email@example.com.
Click to listen to a recitation of the poems
Year 7 non Italian
- La settimana del gatto dormiglione di Jolanda Restano* (3 points)
- C’è di Pino* (2 points)
- Le frittelle di Anonimo (1 point)
Year 7 Italian
- I numeri di Anonimo (3 points)
- Le giostre di Robix* (2 points)
- Amici di Rosita Corbella Paciotti* (1 point)
Year 8 non Italian
- Il mare di Signorelli* (3 points)
- Marino Mangiatutto di Giusy* (2 points)
- Se a luglio di Elio Guarnuccio (1 point)
Year 8 Italian
- Primavera di Jolanda Restano* (3 points)
- Filastrocca “Casa Mia” di Jolanda Restano* (2 points)
- Troppe esse di Marina Bartolameazzi (1 point)
*Alcune poesie sono tratte dal sito Filastrocche.it
CIS Italian Poetry Competition Co-ordinator